Friday, August 13, 2010

3 transmissions later......



Last week on friday we headed out, to move to Las Cruces New Mexico for Samuel to go to Grad school. Some freinds from our branch in Oregon helped us move so they could see their family down in New Mexico. Friday night we made it to Las Vegas, NV. Our truck had been acting a little funny in Twin falls and by the time we were in traffic in Las Vegas, of course it had to start dying at every light we hit. It was such a relief to get out of traffic and to Zach and Ambers house. Saturday Zach and Amber showed us around Las Vegas and took us swimming. The kids had such a blast. We got back on the road Sunday morning only to make it to the middle of a desert to breakdown. Our Transmission we had replaced 3 weeks earlier was gone! We do not own a cell phone, so Samuel took some water and started to walk down the highway. I took the kids and we rested in the shade of a joshua tree until Samuel arrived back. Luckily we were only there for 2 hours. Samuel had hitchhiked to the nearst littletown with a bus full of mexicans heading to mexico. The fist town he saw he had the mexicans drop him off , he used a girls personal cellphone to call a tow truck. We were all very relieved to see Samuel. They took us into a town called Wickenburg, AZ. and dropped us off with the truck at a mechanics. WE then took what we could out of the front of our truck and walked to go find a hotel. Tuesday around 2 we were able to get back on the road met up with our friends in Animas, NM. Wednesday we made it to LAS Cruces...FINALLY! Only to start having truck problems agian. But at least we are here!!!! The truck is in the shop and another transmission is being put in. I sure love vehicles. Thanks everyone for your prayers. I know, if nothing else we were kept safe, and I would rather have car problems then have my safety or the safety for any member of my family jeoperdized.

5 comments:

ourbanksaccount said...

WOW! I sure hope you paid that mechanic with a credit card so you can reverse the charge! Glad you finally made it!!!!

Becky said...

Sorry we missed you. It sounds like loads of fun!

Zachariah Parry said...

I was wondering how the trip would go. That's horrible that you had to go through all that. I can't relate completely, but a little bit:

We replaced the transmission in our van in January 2009. Then we replaced it again in July 2009.

The only two times I have ever been hitchhiking, it was with Samuel. Once in Caldwell on Hoskins road after his mom dropped us off on the side of the road for being naughty in the car (she came back to get us only to realize we weren't anywhere--because we had hitchhiked the rest of the way home). The other time was in Zion's National Park when we were hiking the narrows and Uncle Jay sprained his ankle, so we were sent ahead to get help since he wasn't going to be making it out of the canyon by dark (we thought). I was wearing a BYU hat, which I turned around backwards so the people approaching us from behind would see the hat and automatically trust me. It worked. Some college girls gave us a ride to camp and told us it was the hat that led them to believe they could pull over and give us a ride.

Glad you made it ok. Make sure you stop by here next time you are around.

Oh, and get a cell phone. I forgot to give you our spare, so send me your address and I'll send it to you.

Amelia said...

That picture of your kids asleep under the tree breaks my heart. I'm serious. I'm so sorry for your stupid car troubles.

Maria said...

oh amy! when you get settled in, call me! i totally agree with u abt it just being money and not a life...like when i lost my wedding ring, we had to get 2 transmissions...you know. i'm so glad you made it!